Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Saga of the Whipped Sweet Potatoes

For some years, I've made a whipped sweet potato dish that is requested for Thanksgiving dinner. This year, I decided to check for new recipes to see if I could find something better than the recipe I normally use. After a couple nights of checking around the internet, I did find some interesting recipes, but nothing really radically different than what I was already doing, with one important exception. I have now incorporated that new ingredient into my recipe and I thought it turned out very well! I'm not revealing the contents of this recipe, for state security reasons... One other interesting bit of information I picked up was to use a food processor (which I do not own) or a blender (which I do own) to do the bulk of the whipping-up work after the initial mash is finished. Ahhh, I thought to myself, this is a good idea. I had been using my old (more than 20 years old now) but faithful electric hand mixer which has the unfortunate tendency to spatter bits of food all over the walls and me at higher speeds. And so, after doing my initial mash and incorporation of some ingredients, I added the butter, mashed a bit, and then dumped the whole into my blender. Turned it on low. It was running but there was no movement in the chamber. Turned it up a few notches higher; still no movement in the chamber. I turned off the blender and added milk and stirred things up a bit. Turned the blender back on. Still no movement. I repeated this exercise several times before deciding that THIS IS NOT GOING TO WORK, STUPID WOMAN! And so, I meticulously scraped out every bit of non-whipped sweet potatoes and non-blended bits of butter back into a mixing bowl, pulled out the trusty old electric hand mixer, and set to it. Approximately one hour later (it takes a LOT of whipping and tasting and whipping and tasting to make my whipped sweet potatoes - sounds rather like a naughty movie, doesn't it, all that whipping and tasting), my dish was finished! Voila! Lesson learned: I need a food processor.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...