Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tania Sachdev Interview

From The Times of India Online We can win a medal at Olympiad: Tania Sachdev 12 Dec 2008, 0107 hrs IST, Sudeshna Chakraborty,TNN (Photo: Tania Sachdev, Round 8, Dresden Olympiad)In the recently concluded Chess Olympiad in Dresden (Germany), where the Indian women team finished 15th, Delhi-based Grandmaster Tania Sachdev scored a creditable 6.5 points from 11 games. After the Olympiad, she participated in an open tournament in Croatia and finished second where she lost in the tie-breaker. Tania spoke to TOI about her Olympiad experience and much more. Excerpts from the interview: How would you sum up your Olympiad performance and the tournament in Croatia? Olympiad has always been a dream for me. This year when I got selected in the national team, I knew that I had the opportunity to prove myself. I had huge expectations and the experience was enlightening. Olympiad is about so many things - the stiff competition, the chance to play with the bigwigs, the heartbreaks. The Croatia tournament was an Open GMs meet. Since I was in Europe, I thought I might as well play there too. The tournament has fetched me six Elo rating points, so I’m happy. Tell us about your experience in playing on the top boards? The competition is very intense when you play on the top boards. Besides the intensity of the games, one feels much more patriotic and much more accountable when pitted against the best. After the sixth round, I was exhausted having to play consistently on top boards. But that’s where your game gets better... one emerges enlightened after a satisfying game against a stalwart. Are you happy with India’s performance? Have we narrowed the gap with the top teams? Definitely the level of play has accelerated in India. We played consistently both in the men’s and women’s sections. India stands a very good chance of winning a medal in the next Olympiad. We are very close to it. Since you are from Delhi how much your exploits will help chess grow in the Capital? During my initial years, there were hardly any chess tournaments or coaching centres. Slowly the scenario has changed. There are many players now and I expect many more to pick the game as more tournaments are being held today than before. You often say that you require sponsors. Have you got any help from the Delhi Chess Association (DCA)? Sponsorship in sports is a big problem except cricket. But DCA has always helped me in arranging sponsors. What do you think should be done to make the sport bigger? The biggest problem with chess is that it is not a TV-centric sport. One cannot enjoy watching it. But there is so much talent in India that it surely deserves corporate sponsorship and media attention. Where do see yourself in another three years? As a World Cup winner.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...