Monday, July 20, 2009

Shira Chess Challenge: Update

Shira has arrived safely at her next assignment, an orphanage in Portgugal. Shira will be teaching the kids how to use a computer through a Truth About Drugs lecture (see Drug Free World). Shira sent this beautiful photo taken of sunrise from her hotel room. I am sure that is a dove, one of the birds of the Great Goddess, flying across the sky, bringing blessings to Shira's endeavor. I don't think I posted about this - because my training is going so poorly (that is, I am doing poorly at training, that is, all this is driving me absolutely bonkers and I'm not training at all, that is, well - forget it) Shira and I have moved back the date of our momentous three-game chess match. It is now scheduled for Labor Day Weekend, 2029 - only kidding - it is now scheduled for Labor Day Weekend 2009. So - deep breath - I have some extra time in which to prepare to be beaten into the chessboard by Ms. Shira. But I have achieved a certain equilibrium (at least, this week), and have consigned my Ego to sacrifice on the altar of Charity... As for my training, here is the latest report: I think I already posted that I resigned my game with Rob. He's back from vacation now, I may try him shsom, knowing now that he professes to know nothing about the game. He didn't believe me when I professed the same thing. Now he knows better. This time I'll be black and for some reason I always seem to play better with black. Silly, isn't it. Mott the Hoople spanked me - naughty Mott! My hapless black king was trapped by no less than three pieces - and here I thought the game had been going rather even (well, sort of), until I saw the WRITING ON THE WALL. Last ditch defensive moves probably had Mott rolling on the floor with laughter. Sigh. My games with soheil76 is in the end game phase and - what do I know? - I'd say I have a slight edge even though I have only 2 pawns to S76's 4 - but I've got a pesky rook and a bishop on the dark squares, S76 has a knight and a bishop also on the dark squares; the game with Frog Breath is in early moves yet and honestly, I don't think either of us knows what the hell we're doing - FB plays bizarre moves just like me. That's rather frightening, come to think of it...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...