Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July!

Hola darlings!

It's so fricking hot and humid here today, I'm sure we broke a record.  Last time I checked, which was about noon, not even approaching the hot of the day, it was 90 degrees F.  Don't know what the dew point was, don't care.  My knees are telling me it's very high.  As it my level of sweat.  The official temperature is taken at the airport, which is smack dab on Lake Michigan, our local refrigerator. Did it moderate the temperature at all today - perhaps for a block or two :)  Out here where I live, about 5-6 miles due west as the crow flies, the sun's intensity was absolutely burning.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was 97 or 98 around here.

I got outside to do the front yard grass trimming at 8 a.m. when it was still shady cast from the trees across the road, but could only hack it 20 minutes.  By that time I'd already worked up a dripping sweat and enough CO2 to attract lots of bugs. Fortunately, I was basically finished with the trimming at that point, if one does not look too carefully, and called it a morning!  I went inside and thanked Goddess for central AC!   Two days ago I was sleeping comfortably with the windows open, but yesterday afternoon the weather took a turn for the hotter and way more humid ( dew point of 60 and above now) - of course, the day I dedicated to getting the lawn cut front yard and back so I wouldn't have to putz with it today or tomorrow, with the threat of possible severe weather hanging over my head like an axe - I shut up the house and turned on the AC about 7 p.m. Any dew point in the high 50's and above is decidedly uncomfortable for me.  But the tropical dew points in the 70's - I can't even breathe! 

The backyard is inviting, and I did sit out for awhile earlier this afternoon, after I got back from the trek to the supermarket - the air is wet and heavy but there is a stiff breeze blowing from the south/southwest and my backyard is shady during this part of the day.  It was okay sitting out there, but not like inside with the dry, cool air.  Whew!  I definitely must find a place to retire to that has moderate LOW HUMIDITY temperatures all year round - need that or I may as well just shoot myself now, as my sensitivity to changes in the barometer, temperature and dew point only get worse as I get older.  Blech! 

Lots of fireworks displays planned for tonight, but the weather is problematical.  When it gets this hot and humid, thunderstorms are always a threat and can crop up in nothing flat.  That breeze I mentioned, it's gusting at 20 to 25 mph which can make shooting off fireworks downright dangerous.  I hope everyone will get to see their local fireworks.  I'm more concerned about trees crashing on to my roof!

I've got my 4th of July celebration for later this evening all planned - got my movie picked out for a 9 p.m. showing.  I've got nice ground beef and will pan grill myself a big juicy Newton recipe burger after chopping up and mixing all the various ingredients (just ask Isis, Michelle and Mr. Don how good they are, yum, I don't think they were lying as my burgers always disappear rapidly), and I've got potato salad chilling in the fridge. 

There is no summer get-together this year for Goddesschess, alas.  I don't know if that will ever happen again.  Time changes things.  Relationships change.  The Great Recession, which is actually the second Great Depression although no one will admit it, has taken its toll on all of us.  I have contented myself with looking at and posting some photographs from our May, 2009 get-together in New York - hope you enjoy them. The weather was crazy that day, reminds me of here :)  One minute it was sunny and hot as hell; the next minute it was clouded over and foggy and the temperature dropped 20 degrees and you needed your jacket.  We had that weather during our entire outing from Battery Park to Ellis Island and back, but back on Manhattan, it was hot and no fog to be seen.  What a wonderful trip that was.  I'm so glad we were able to visit again after our first visit in - what was it - 2006?

Photo 1: Statue of Liberty taken at Ellis Island, May, 2009 Goddesschess Anniversary Trip
Photo 2: Jan, Mr. Don and Isis taken at the base of the Statute of Liberty, Ellis Island, May 2009.  Guess you can tell I was more than a little upset with Mr. Don at that point in time as I'm - no, that is not a hug, I'm actually choking him...
Photo 3: Jan looking toward the skyline of Manhattan, off camera, in the distance.  I was in a contemplative mood.  I made a wish and threw some coins over the railing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...