Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Redecorating Bedroom Update

My "new" bedroom (the former guest room) did not stay static for long. I first added a second set of pillows to the bed, dressed in a cream and black diamond-vine print. Then I added the posts to the bed (they had been stashed in a closet). I liked how that turned out. I next added two of my experimental photograph prints done in grey-scale and framed them in a couple of frames and mats I had stashed in a closet. I love how they look, but they don't show up very well in photos and, indeed, look rather lost above the bookcase. They seem to anchor that space in person much better than in the photographs I took, hmmm...
Then I decided that the white and black striped curtains were too summery for this weather, and replaced them with a pair and a half of Waverly toile curtains I purchased a couple of years ago - and never got around to putting up in my former bedroom because I never got around to repainting it, etc. etc. Then I switched out the black/white checked top sheet with a top sheet that matches the print on the pillows against the headboard, keeping the black and white check on the fitted sheet and second set of pillow cases. It was bothering me that the space above the headboard was BARE. When this room was the guest room, I had a very nice framed print of magnolias in primarily jewel-toned colors above the head board, and it suited the colors in the "bed in a bag" I used in that room perfectly. I am still trying to decide what to do with that space (plates? a new print or prints? some other decoration flanked by sconces?), but in the meantime, I dug out a VERY old print I originally purchased back in 1978. It still has its original mat that has been repainted several times over the years - I used the most recent incarnation (done in bronze and gold paint sponged over the prior wine-red color, which had been painted over a prior mix of green and blue, which had been painted over the original mat of reddish-orange). I like how it looks in the room, but in the photo, it seems to lose something in translation. Because the window on the right is much narrower than the window on the left, only one panel of the toile curtains covers it adequately, so I temporarily threw the second curtain panel over the wing chair in the corner. Not sure that chair will stay. At present, I think I will move it into the new guest room; it coordinates with that color scheme. I am thinking about moving a very old wing chair from my former bedroom into my new bedroom and buy a slipcover for it, since it's color does NOT remotely match anything in the new room! Or perhaps get a new chair and leave the old wing chair in what will become the den/library. I love that old chair, it's very comfortable! I bought it new in 1986 when I moved into my first house. It is a bit wider than the current wing chair in my new bedroom, so I'd need to do a bit of tweaking with furniture arrangement. I could be equally comfortable in that lovely old chair in the new den/library. So, things are up in the air with respect to the chair at present... Things are still in transition. I haven't yet ordered throw rugs, and I'm still hemming and hawing about whether to order a pair of buffet lamps for the dresser (not show in photos) that I found on line that I absolutely fell in love with. Also, I'm not certain the old still-life print I have above the bed is the right "fit" - I may move it to above the bookcase and try some other arrangement above the headboard, or stash it somewhere else in the house. It IS one of my favorite prints, I hate the thought of putting it back in the closet. I keep thinking I should do something with toile pattern plates - but not sure that's really "me." On a lark I also printed out and framed one of the recent squirrel photos I took during the last major storm (we've had so many I forget which one, I think it was the one just before Christmas holiday), and I love how it looks - but it doesn't exactly fit in with a "toile bedroom" motif, LOL! On the other hand, I am SO bored with the cheap botanical prints that have been hanging in the small upstairs hallway for nearly 20 years, I took them down and tonight I put the sole squirrel print up in the vacated space. It looks lonely all by itself and I am thinking I will add one, two and possibly three additional squirrel prints, so I will have my little furry friends to greet me every morning on the way to the bathroom. I did order an 18" bedskirt in black - I cannot abide that 4" gap between the standard 14" bedskirt and the floor! More purchases may follow, although I AM trying to be economical. Tonight I actually pulled out craft paints to repaint my old bedroom lamp. And although its current shade is cheap and tacky looking, it is still in perfect shape, and the aged color will go very well with the ivory colored background in the toile curtains in the "new" bedroom. Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...