Monday, July 6, 2009

Shira Chess Challenge: I Am NOT Ready for Beginner Chess

Oy, this is driving me crazy. Today I made a very bad mistake. I actually opened one of the data bases that Kelly a/k/a Chess Daddy sent to me, using Chess Base Lite. I forced myself to work through 1 and nearly a half games, and then I couldn't stand it anymore. Every single thing I do when I play chess is fricking WRONG. So WRONG, I found myself paralyzed and now I cannot make a move in my pending games (now 3 games). I am terrified of making a mistake. Which I know I will, because I suck. This is HORRIBLE. I don't know what to do. To add insult to injury, lately I seem to have come across a plethora of articles about "beginner" chess, like this one: Your Chess Coach Chess starts with the basics By Laura Sherman, Bill Kilpatrick INQUIRER.net First Posted 03:08:00 07/07/2009 Chess is taught by starting with the basics and building from there. It has to be done step by step. It is a big mistake to skip ahead too quickly with new strategies or techniques, when the more basic concepts are not well understood by a young chess player. Teaching “checkmate” is a perfect example. Coaches quickly learn it’s a big challenge to teach children the concept of checkmate. We have found that many beginners have trouble checkmating their opponents despite having an overwhelming advantage of pieces on the chess board. So how do you teach this seemingly basic concept? Break it down! Simplify it! Pull checkmate apart into little pieces that can be learned, one at a time. The first step is to drill easier concepts with your students. How do you attack a piece? When is a piece in danger? How do you trap a piece? There are dozens of such exercises that are needed in order to fully prepare the student to understand and apply the concept of checkmate. Once they have these components down, they must be able to recognize when the king is in check and understand that concept fully. Quiz them on the number of escape squares the king has. This usually requires a bit of drilling, but there will come a point where the student knows it, really knows it. Being able to recognize when a student has a concept and is able to move on is also important. The last thing you want to do is rehash something over and over that they already understand. There’s a certain look that a student gets when they fully understand something. Watch for that look, that confident gleam in their eye. Now they will have an easier time grasping checkmate. Show them many examples. Stick with exercises that are checkmate in one move, starting with extremely easy and basic positions. The more you drill these with your student the faster they will pick up the themes and be able to recognize reoccurring patterns.
Checkmate needs to be drilled regularly and often. The result will be that your students will take advantage of more opportunities on the board and you will have a strong foundation from which to move forward. _____________________________________________________
Laura Sherman founded Your Chess Coach with her husband, Dan Sherman. The couple's full-time profession is teaching children to play chess. Bill Kilpatrick, founder of several professional specialty schools, brings an entrepreneurial spirit to chess coaching. Together they provide consulting around the globe helping improve the ability of coaches, parents and educators to teach chess to children. Okay, so what about teaching someone like ME to play chess after years of doing it wrong? And please, do not say "forget everything you ever thought you knew about chess." My response: SCREW YOU. No way am I going to unlearn 40 years worth of playing chess the way I play. There has to be a different way to do this. I'm officially ditching the data bases. I cannot even remember the first four moves (2 for white and 2 for black). Sorry Chess Daddy, this ain't gonna work.

3 comments:

Laura Sherman said...

Hi! This article is about how to teach children to play chess. How one should start, so that from the beginning you don't get into the frustration that you are feeling.

If you wanted to tackle this all, you would simply go back and fill in a few gaps. That's all. No need to start at square one.

I have found that most people were taught out of sequence. Checkmate is a more advanced concept. Other things should be taught first.

So, all is not hopeless!

Laura

Jan said...

Hi Laura,

I enjoyed your article. I'm nearly 58 years old and have been playing chess (rarely) this way for 40 years. None of the stuff I'm supposed to be learning and incorporating into my chess to make it better is sticking in my head. If anything, I've actually gotten WORSE, because now I am constantly worried about making a mistake. I didn't used to worry about that. Chess Daddy writes and says that I should just keep studying the games in the data bases (basic chess principles) and things will get better. But I cannot remember the simplest concepts. My "gaps" are larger than the Grand Canyon! Well, I can take comfort that my three game match will probably be the shortest games in history and then I'll never pick up another chess piece as long as I live. And I'm thinking about downloading those data bases to disc just so I can have the pleasure of buring it!

Laura Sherman said...

Hi! Oops, I forgot to check back! :-) I'd be happy to help you. Email me directly Laura@yourchesscoach.com and I'll give you pointers. Studying data bases isn't the way to go. Too frustrating and overwhelming.

I'm glad you liked the article! Thanks!

Laura

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...