Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Tania Sachdev: I want to play in an Olympiad


From India Times Sports online


AMIT KARMARKAR
TNN

PUNE, November 6:

Tania Sachdeva of Delhi, the 21-year-old Asian women's chess champion, is eager to defend her National 'A' title here. She also told TOI how much she wanted to compete in the Dresden (Germany) Olympiad next October. Of course, she knows she must finish in the top three in the Nationals here to secure her Olympiad berth.

Excerpts from an interview:

On her experience at the Indoor Asian Games in Macau:
It was a different experience altogether because we went as a contingent. Apart from helping each other in chess, there were other sports and other sportspersons too. Though I didn't play too many games, I won the team rapid gold and team blitz silver.

On the absence of Vijayalakshmi from the Nationals:
It's a family reason (death of a father), and it's hard for anyone. If she had played, the event would have been stronger. I always look up to Viji for her fighting spirit. Though I didn't win against her much to start with, of late I won two games with black and won the National title in her presence.

On her main rivals in Pune:
Everybody is strong. So there is no specific rival.

On how she is shaping up for the National 'A':
I will try to play my best and hoping for good games.

On whether it's right to select Olympiad teams by National 'A' ranking:
Personally, I would give more emphasis on rating strength. But the current system is fair.

Thoughts on playing in the Olympiad:
I'm really, really, really desperate to qualify. Not for anything else but sheer experience of playing on that stage and representing your country.

On whether she is six years behind Koneru Humpy (who she was a GM at 15, Tania at 21 is not yet):
We respect what she has done for Indian chess and her huge progress in the women's game. But you can't compare me and her that way. I came from a city (Delhi) where there is no chess culture, while she came from Andhra. I didn't give up studies and completed my degree in English (Hon). My aim is to cross the Elo rating of 2500.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...