Sunday, July 13, 2008

Amsterdam 2001 Part 2

Hola darlings! It's an absolutely gorgeous day today - there's a strong breeze (about 25 mph), the air is DRY and I feel totally energized. The grass out back has been cut, articles have been read, critters have been fed. While doing some housecleaning today in preparation to receive my guests (dondelion will be here on Friday and Isis and Michelle arrive a week from Tuesday) I came across some old photographs from my 1999 trip to the FIDE World Chess Championship in Las Vegas. I will scan and post some of them. That reminded me of our 2001 trip to Amsterdam, and that I did not finish my "travelogue." So - here goes: While the Initiative Group Koenigstein symposium at the Max Euwe Centrum ran only three days, from November 30 - December 2, 2001, we were in town a few days afterward to take in some of Amsterdam's sights. I'm an early riser. Sunday December 2nd dawned with a watery sunlight - the first I'd seen since our arrival in Amsterdam! I quickly got dressed, grabbed a hard-boiled egg and some bread and butter from the empty common room and headed out before 8 a.m. The city was deserted - the streets were wet; it was humid, the air was soggy, but the sunlight cast the buildings in a manner that took my breath away and I took a leisurely stroll in the area around the Hotel Schmitt, ending up at the Rijksmuseum. I took several photographs during my stroll, but my camera was cheap and old and the photographs were disappointing. This was in the days before digital cameras turning every shot into a winning shot! I got back to the hotel shortly after 9 to a full common room, everyone was eating breakfast (it was included in the cost of our accomodations). Several of us walked to the Max Euwe Centrum for the final half day of the IGK Symposium. It ended with a discussion I knew would never amount to anything - the writing and compiling of a "new" and improved history of chess (actually, more about the origins of chess and the games from which it may have been derived, which is what we at Goddesschess are most interested in). I left early. Unfortunately, by doing so I missed out on an impromptu lunch afterward with The Chief (Ricardo Calvo), Carmen (his wife and faithful Librarian and research assistant), Ken Whyld and others. They and Gerhard Josten, our German acquaintance who had been instrumental in introducing us to The Chief, were all leaving on afternoon trains to go back home. Later that afternoon dondelion, Isis, Michelle and I trekked over to the Rijksmuseum and spent hours oohing and aahing at the incredible collection of art. I know I've got some photographs from that day other than those I've already posted (in the left hand margin of the blog), I'll see if I can dig them out, scan and post them. Now the couch is calling - I need a nap...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...