Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Triple Chess Goddess Has Spoken

...to me. Specifically - in the person of GM Susan Polgar, in her column in the Lubbock Avalanche Journal (online version). How does she DO that? This is really spooky... This week's column is geared to no less than - BEGINNERS. Such as yours truly. Oh, I know I know, I've been playing chess for nearly 40 years now, and never progressed a whit in my game in all this time. The only thing I think I know about chess at this point in my life is that the end-game usually means there are many less pieces on the board and one has more room to run. It isn't as if I don't know these things - except I don't really know them at all. So - Polgar: Try these basic chess principles to help you become a better player Lubbock Avalanche-Journal Sunday, June 28, 2009 Story last updated at 6/28/2009 - 5:30 pm Here is the question of the week: What are some of the most important things novice/ scholastic chess players need to know about chess? Chess is a very easy game to learn, but harder to master [you ain't kidding]. Here are some very important principles in chess that will help you become a better player. • Control the center • Develop your pieces as soon as possible • Castle as soon as possible • Keep your pieces protected • Have lots of fun. Win with grade. Lose with dignity And once you've got the hang of the above, you should also remember: • Every move should have a purpose. • What is the idea behind your opponent's move? • Always think before you move. There is no take back in chess. So make your decision carefully. • Learn to make plans. Planning is one of the most important elements of the game of chess. • Analyze your games and learn from your mistakes. Every player, from beginner to world champion, makes mistakes. It is very important to go over your games to find mistakes and learn from them. • Pace yourself wisely. Oh oh... I am in trouble. Big trouble. I can't keep all of these things in my head! I can't keep even half of them in my head. There's a reason why some people do not play chess, and I'm Exhibit #1.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...