Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Packers Are Winning and the Tree Is Up!

Hoorah!  I wish the Packers would just put this game away; but the Giants are tough.  I'm trying to distract myself from heart-attacks by looking online at photographs of beautifully decorated Christmas trees.  Oh my!  Now if I could afford it, I'd hire a decorator to do it up all wiz bang with glitter gold fruit, birds, angels and flowers galore!  Icles, ornaments of all sizes, and tons of mesh ribbon.

Bare naked tree (eek!) except for the star topper.  I took this photo without the flash!
When it's all decorated the curtains are pulled up and back to open up the windows
so the tree can be enjoyed from the street. 
I forgot how much light my relatively modest tree throws off!  It's 6.5 feet tall and about 4 feet wide at the bottom.  I had taken it apart last year (it's pre-lit) to make it easier to move into the garage and wrap up to keep the spiders and bugs out, and it took me forever to figure out where and how to plug the lights back into each other.  Whew!  Then, I putzed around for a good 30 minutes standing on a chair just securing the newly-purchased gold glitter punched stars to the tree top.  I used twist ties to mold them together and secure them to the top tree branch.  I like how they look up there but there still seems to be something missing.  Perhaps I will invest in some gold floral sprays -- but that will entail a trip to Joann's or Michael's.  I'll try the TJMaxx in the mall downtown tomorrow during lunch just in case.  You never know what TJMaxx might have. 

Okay, it's the start of the 4th quarter and Packers lead 28-24.  Not a comfortable lead, looks like I'll have to keep my defibulator close to hand...  Oh crap.  Giants just hit a 50 yard field goal and have moved to within 1 point.  But, Packers get the ball now.  Still 11.27 to go, and Charles Woodson just left the game with a possible concussion.  OHMYGODDESS, NO NO NO!

Update 8:02 p.m.

The Giants scored a TD and successfully made a 2-point conversion near the end of regulation play to tie the score 35-35.  This description of what happened with under a minute to play in regulation is from the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel Online:

Turning point: After the Giants tied things up at 35-35, Green Bay took over at its own 20 with 58 seconds left. Rodgers hit Jermichael Finley for 24 yards, Jordy Nelson for 27, Greg Jennings for 18 and Crosby drilled the game-winner. It was easily the offense’s best drive of the season.

I believe the game-winning field goal was a 30 yard field goal by kicker Mason Crosby to win the game by 3 points.

Is it just a coincidence that the Wisconsin Badgers won the Big 10 title game game last night by 3 points? 

Look at the body control by veteran receiver Donald Driver (age 37 and I assume will retire at the end of this season), scoring a much-needed TD late in the 4th quarter:

It's vital for a receiver to get both "feet" down within bounds in order for a pass
to be deemed caught within bounds.  Driver, who seconds before catching this
pass from QB Aaron Rodgers was shoved nearly out of bounds by 23 Giants,
caught the ball and got both of his feet (by the tippy toes) on the ground within
bounds to score the go-ahead TD!  This was his second catch - and second TD - of the day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...