Saturday, September 7, 2013

Hales Corners Chess Challenge XVIII

Hola Darlings!

I cannot believe it, but Challenge XVIII will soon be here -- October 12, 2013 in Milwaukee, four games in one day.  Whew!

Goddesschess, which these days is reduced to moi (low in number but mighty in spirit), is once again sponsoring prizes for the chess femmes as well as a separate $50 prize for best game (anyone can enter), to spread a little love just in case a chess dude should have the best game.  Now who will judge the best game and all that, I leave that entirely to the folks at Southwest Chess Club.  I HEART Southwest Chess Club!

When Goddesschess was more than just me, way back at Challenge VIII, we put up our first modest amount of prize money.  So, Challenge XVIII is - get this - the 11th Challenge (not the 10th -- count it on your fingers if you do not believe me) to which we/I have provided prize money.  Whoop whoop! 

Link to flyer for more information!

Two or three or four Challenges ago (I forget, my memory isn't so good these days, damn it all!), I started a little bit extra for the chess femmes by creating gift bags for the top female finisher in each of the Open and Reserve Sections.  This year, the tradition continues! 

Let me tell you, it's no easy task scouring the internet and local stores for suitable chessly items.  But I love the challenge.  And I succeeded in finding some new chessly gifts for the femmes, which I sincerely hope they will enjoy! 

Will I be up to the challenge of playing in the Challenge?  Ahem, bad pun, yes.  Frankly, maybe not.  As some of you may know, my health has not been the best since last summer.  What I have doesn't go away, it is controlled at best, and right now it is not controlled despite the efforts of a cardiologist and an electrophysiologist, and if that isn't a mouthful I don't know what is.  Angry and frustrated am I, yes.  I will probably have to undergo another heart zapping procedure in an attempt to get my heart back into a normal rhythm.  The first one, done in November 2012 not a month after much loved Don McLean (my Mr. Don) died from a similar ailment, did not last more than six months.  Argggghhhh! 

I have, nonetheless, stuck to my pledge made this spring to train relentlessly and try to improve my OTB game.  Well, I'm not so sure I've improved any.  In fact, at times I think I have regressed and play worse now than I did years ago.  EEK!  But I persevere, darlings, I persevere.  Not much else to say, except

BE THERE OR BE ROUND!  HAR :))))

Get it? Not square, because square represents the 64 squares (plus one) of the chessboard, and that is tres cool.  We WANT to be square!  Well, technically I suppose ancient Byzantine Zatrikion, played on a round board, was a derivative form of chess.  But who the heck knows that who reads this blog -- probably no one, ha ha ha !  Okay, enough wine for tonight...

Does anybody really know what time it is:


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...