Saturday, January 29, 2011

Snow, snow, snow! Ice, ice, ice! Figure Skating! U.S. Championships!

Shoveling snow today.  I'm cheating, actually, since the snow I finally removed from my driveway fell over the last 2 weeks!  A dribble here, a dab there, it all added up.  Today, for awhile, the sun came out and I had time, so I put on my fuzzy slippers with the rubber bottoms and my beret, and my shoveling gloves, and I tackled the driveway. 

There was a path, half the width of the driveway, previously shoveled out before the most recent five inches fell, in dribbles and dabs, over the last week, so today I cleared the rest of the drive in two shifts.  Who knows?  The weather forecasters are uncertain -- while it seems fairly certain that our neighbors in New York City will get yet more snow on top of their already record snowfall for this 2010-2011 winter season - within the next few days - we dont' know what may happen here.  I can tell you this much - I've done a lot less shovelling this year than last, if my memory serves me correctly.  In the meantime, the forecasters on the local news are mouthing dire warnings that a big storm is brewing and we may be in its target.  Yeah, well, when it gets here I'll deal with it.  Otherwise, just shut up.  I'm sick of winter already.

This weekend, however, is all about ice when it comes to the 2011 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, which I have been keenly tracking all week for news of novice and junior results, LOL!  The bigs, of course -- that is, the ladies' long program, the pairs' long program, the ice dance free dance, and the men's long program -- those sly officials at the US Figure Skating Federation saved for live broadcast on NBC today and tomorrow!  Yippee!  Figure skating championships always signal that winter is almost ended for me!  The Worlds are typically held near the end of March and, as we all know, the Spring Equinox is on March 21st (more or less)! 

Decided thus far - this afternoon as I eagerly cast mine eyes upon the television whilst working on a family tree project - the pairs (a new couple crowned as 2011 U.S. Pairs Champions) and the ice dancers (Davis and White repeat.  Davis and White won the Olympic Silver in Ice Dance in - somewhere in Canada... (my memory is going, going...)

So tonight the big drama on prime time commercial television will be the ladies' long program.  Right now, Alissa Czisny (spelling?), Marai Nagasu (spelling?) (I think she will go VERY far, this young lady, if she just lets herself GO there), and Rachel Flatt, who just, unfortunately, leaves me very flat when I watch her skate, are in 1, 2, and 3.  Talented and promising skaters are right behind.  I especially like Christina Gao, who I think is in 5th place right now.  I think she's got the full package and, at only 16, has a lot of time to develope prior to Sochi 2014!  It may come down to an eventual showdown between Gao and Nagasu, also 16.  Just saying...

Prime time coverage of the U.S. Figure Skating Champi8onships picks up at 7 p.m. eastern, 8 p.m. here, with the ladies' long program - the PREMIERE event! 

I've got to tell you, I'm just excited that I saw Amodio in the news a few days ago at the European Championships that have been going on the past week too - he so impressed me just about a year ago at the 2010 Olympics that I just had to blog about it then.  I fell in love with the young man - the total package in a male skater, be calmed my beating heart, oh my Goddess!  Whew!  Okay, wiping sweat from my brow just thinking about that young man, I saw tonight after just - really - just checking the news online that AMODIO WON GOLD AT THE EUROPEANS!  Yippee!

Update:  I watched the ladies' freeskate from start to finish.  In my opinion, the correct skater won the championship (Czisny) but I think Nagasu skated a better program than Flatt and Nagasu should have been in second place, not Flatt.  That is crucial because only two women can go to the worlds at the end of March and, frankly, I don't think Flatt will represent us very well.  Oh well.  Now Nagasu will have to wait for another year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...